Thursday, September 20, 2007

The One Night Stand

The Los Angeles Fiber Guild did an outreach thing by demonstrating spinning at the Los Angeles County Fair. Here are Karen, Cathy and Una going round and round while sitting in one place (only spinners can defy the laws of physics in this way, you see).


Spinning is lovely. Spinning is spiffy. I love spinning. ...but, now is Not the Time For Spinning.

I knew this would happen when I signed on for Project Monogamy. Did I not tell you about the fiberish dilemmas that would occurr? And sure enough, while I'm knitting Pa's sweater vest, the time came to spin. That's right, spinning when I should be knitting. What to do?

I thought, a) the Fair is an outreach opportunity for spinners to show young and old that our craft is still alive and well (not to mention getting to watch their faces while they try to figure out what the heck we're doing), and b) I took-on a commission to spin 2 ounces of Himalayan cat fur. I told Butterball's owner that I would spin her gorgeous kitty hair by the end of the month so it could be used in a piece of art. An honest-to-goodness deadline.

I thought some more. Yes, it would be cheating on Pa's sweater, but it was only for one day. It was for a good cause (not voyeuristic at all...). It was only a little bit - a mere 2 ounces. And it would never happen again, I promise!

I thought...
I wavered...
I caved.

Oh, the infidelity of it all!

So meet Butterball, the Himalayan. She came to me in soft wads (only 2 ounces!).


And here is Butterball getting wispy and ready for spinning (it was only one day!).



Here is Butterball on the wheel. I was surprised to discover that the fur was a bit greasy, but nothing different that petting my own kitties, I suppose. Butterball was fun and interesting to spin, actually. I really love the soft, fuzzy halo (I mean like... I love Pa's sweater vest).


So now that my fling with Butterball is over, I'll not lament, but return to my true (current) companion that is my father's sweater vest. We have reconciled and are continuing our journey together. Ahh.

3 comments:

Pickyknitter said...

I think we forgot to tell you that you are allowed to be monogamous to one project _in each craft_ and still not be cheating. So one knitting project and one spinning project is still OK. Thank goddess for loopholes.

Quail Hill Knits said...

I love the fact that your last post was "Ready, Set, Monogamy" and the next post was an "oops" kind of post. I think we have all been there and done that. I currently have about eight projects on the sticks and can hardly wait to start another!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posts on Butterball's fur. The yarn looks great and I can't wait to get it and start the art project, which I have longed to do for many years. Butterball was the sweetest, funniest cat ever and this project will enshrine him in my memory. I think the assemblage will be an interesting piece. When it's finished (I hope it doesn't become a UFO), I be sure to email you photos. Thanks for taking this on.

About Me

I am a spinner and knitter in Southern California. I live with a very patient husband and two cats in a house full of wool and cat toys (with the occasional musical instrument to keep the hubby happy).