Monday, September 7, 2009

Footstool in Parts


The frame has been dissected and hubby got out the sander. It required electricity and everything, so it's safe to say that I used a power tool (and safely, too). I don't know what kind of wood this is yet because I haven't done a Show and Tell with Uncle Dave, the wood artist of the family.


But as I sanded, I couldn't get into all those little nicks that I had managed to inflict on the poor little stool over time. I've decided to keep them, however, because: they add character to the stool, I'm a lazy sander, I'd end up changing the shape of the legs, and to make it look old (I remember when some people took small chain link to furniture on purpose to make it look this way). The stool still needs a bit more sanding and then I can finish it - once I decide what finish to use.

Here is the original yarn, (hand-dyed by someone other than I). which is a wool & alpaca blend. Very soft. I tried to crochet with it, but came to the conclusion that I really, really don't like the colors (dizzy inducing). So I over-dyed it because that is the answer to all dye issues, of course. Some of the it I over-dyed with yellow and some with green. The original colors give some interest to the yellow and green. A little bit of tweediness. That little wood thingy is the punch I'll use to make the top portion of the footstool. I added a bit of natural brown alpaca yarn for some contrast.

No, I'm not going to show you the design yet.

2 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

I had no idea you could over-dye pink/blue to make yellow/gold and green. Amazing! :-) Can't wait to see your lil stool with it's facelift.

Brooke Knits said...

Hiiiiii there!!! I've missed you! WAs gonna call the other day, then got crazy busy.. I've been spinning like a mad woman...singles.. and I am going to weave with them! I'll post some pictures...(don't hold your breathe, things take a long time for me these days). Hope all is well with you and yours.

About Me

I am a spinner and knitter in Southern California. I live with a very patient husband and two cats in a house full of wool and cat toys (with the occasional musical instrument to keep the hubby happy).